Before the placement of a prosthesis, it might be necessary to prepare the site for a pre-prosthetic surgery. Pre-Prosthetic Surgery assures a greater level of comfort before delivery of a partial or denture. Because dentures and partials sit on the bone ridge, it is critical that the bone be adjusted to the proper size and shape. As an example, if a tooth has been extracted the bone under the gums might be uneven or sharp. Therefore for the denture or partial to have the best possible fit the bone might require re-shaping or smooth out.
Preparing your mouth for the proper fitting of dentures or partials might require one or multiple of the following:
- Resection of the bone ridge (Alveolectomy)
- Excess bone removal (Tori & Exostosis)
- Reshaping and smoothing of the bone (Alveoplasty)
- Increasing the space between the jaw bone and the lip (Vestibuloplasty)
- Cutting of soft tissue attachment between the lip and the gum (Frenectomy)