What is ear surgery (or otoplasty)?
Ear surgery is also known as ear shaping, or Otoplasty is a cosmetic procedure that is performed to reposition, alter size or proportion of your ears. Ear pinning can be conducted to flatten the ears against your head if they stick out too far. The symmetry of your ears can be enhanced by performing a repositioning procedure if one of your ears is higher than the other. If you feel like one or both ears are too large this can also be addressed with Otoplasty.
When to consider Otoplasty (ear surgery)
- Do you feel like your ears do not fit your face due to them being too small or too big?
- Do you feel like your ears are oddly shaped or disproportionate?
- Do you feel like your ears stick out too far?
- Have you had an injury or accident that has changed the shape or positioning of your ears?
If you answered yes to one or more of the above questions, then you could be a candidate for otoplasty surgery.
What does otoplasty cost?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost of otoplasty is $3,154, according to a 2016 statistic.
The overall cost for otoplasty can vary widely based on anesthesia options, surgical facilities, medical tests, and prescriptions for medication.
Ear Surgery or Otoplasty Recovery
It is normal following Otoplasty surgery to experience some discomfort from the surgery and/or bandages. This discomfort can be controlled with pain medication.
Be sure to inquire about the following questions:
- What is the treatment plan following surgery?
- How soon before I can resume normal activities and exercise?
- What is the recovery period directly following surgery? Where will I recover?
- When will my bandages be removed?
- When will my stitches be removed?
If ear surgery is for you contact Facial & Oral Surgery Institute at 818-805-0557 to schedule a consultation or click the Request Appointment button below for a consultation with best otoplasty surgeon, Dr. Navid Senehi, DDS. MD. We look forward to hearing from you.